Monday, July 29, 2019

THOUGHTS ON GROWING OLD


THOUGHTS ON GROWING OLD

I once was able to go to a movie, buy my ticket, find a seat and settle in.  Seeing the “Lion King” the other day was a humbling experience.  We went to the AMC theater at Perry Crossing.  From curb to entrance is a sea of cement that must be 30 feet or so and, once entering, the lobby is half the size of my high school gymnasium.  Buying the ticket was not so simple, choosing reserved seating (what?!) “regular” or Dolby ($4 more per person), said to be “where the movie comes to life”.  My trusty companions wheeled me some distance to the elevator (what?!), and we found our reserved recliner seats.  After watching me fumble ineffectually for some time, Marc instructed me in the nuances of my recliner (harrumph!).  Next I learn that Dolby means one is assailed from all directions by sound at a gabillion decibels, such that the floor seems to shake and my recliner tremble.  I am truly transported into the “Circle of Life”, and lost in the wonder that is “Lion King”.  On the way out, a stop at the Ladies Room proved a learning experience as well.  It seemed the paper towel dispenser was out of towels.  I looked for a button to push but found nothing.  Hands dripping, I stood in frustration.  A kind lady offered help, passed her hand beneath the besotted thing, and it spit out a towel.  Who knew?   We made our way across the street to Stone Creek for a delightful dinner on the patio, giving me time to contemplate the wonders of technology as it passes me by.  Oh well, “hakuna matata”!

No comments:

Post a Comment