Friday, February 25, 2022

ARABELLA ARACHNID

 I am sometimes bumfuzzled with poetic challenges at various sites, and I analyzed one of my own story poems to see how it would be described as a challenge. To my amazement, it's a story poem of six tercets with AAB rhyming pattern, the B's of the six tercets to rhyme!  Funny thing is, I wrote the poem as it came to me, and analyzed it afterward!   I think my poetic style (and I use the term loosely) must be  derived from 80 years of reading all sorts of poetry.  I'm quite chuffed with myself, so I'll share it here in FRIDAY'S WRITINGS at Poets & Storytellers!   Submitted on February 25, 2022

*************************

  ARABELLA  ARACHNID


Consider the talented spider

Who, with only genetics to guide her

Creates delicate lace filigree


Her industrious endeavor

Is devilishly clever

For she has a plan, you see.


When a curious fly

Comes cruising by

He’s headed for infinity


Before time can ebb

He’s caught in her web

There’s no hope for the fly to flee


For all of her spinning

She’s accustomed to winning

She's an arachnid of celebrity


And the ill-fated fly

Who came wandering by

Is on his way to eternity.


11 comments:

  1. Chuffed it is! As it should be! A style uniquely yours ~~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. She does spin a beautiful, deadly pattern. I love the rhyme and rhythm of this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never weep--never!--when a fly head to infinity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is so cute! I love the name Arabella Arachnid. Some webs are so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's brilliant. You consistently underrate your poetic skills, dear Bev! Just because it seems to come naturally doesn't mean it's inferior. Just because it follows traditional patterns of rhyme and metre doesn't mean it's outmoded. Just because it's often both nifty and humorous doesn't mean it's bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good one! Nice rhythm and rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bumfuzzled...is this one of your creations or an Americanism?...totally brilliant...am going to use this one. Got any more ? Love your humour !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice one. Your apt threading of wit story and rhyme works everytime.

    Happy you dropped by my blog

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been amazed at the spiders' creations myself.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Swat!!!" The fly is smushed. Poor baby, Moma's joy was only out hunting a place for planting maggot seeds.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the name, and your very entertaining poem, Bev!

    ReplyDelete