Wednesday, February 9, 2022

NIBBLES AND WINE

Poetics Tuesday at dVerse, and Ingrid is leading us into what for me is the mystery that is an iambic pentameter.  What a frustrating time I'm having.  My quadrille far exceeded 44, so I saved it for Tuesday, but I find counting feet and iambs stresses me far more than syllables.  It renders me full stopped in my poetic endeavors, but I'd like to share my poem which is written to my own personal poetic rhythm. Mea culpa.    Submitted to dVerse, February 8, 2022

********************************

NIBBLES AND WINE

I’ll have just a nibble

I wisely said to myself

As I opened the can of mixed nuts

I’d been keeping on the shelf


I settled in my easy chair

Beside me my glass of wine

Who could ask for any more

Life was mighty fine


I think something overcame me

I’m not sure what it has done

But the glass is now quite empty

And the nuts in the can are gone


It’s really a strange mystery

No sign of intruder has shown

How do these things happen

When I live all alone?                                      


15 comments:

  1. Bev, I love this!

    And thank you for your priceless comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha... when it comes to nuts I seem to be able to eat all that there is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smile! No, a laugh. I love this Bev. Nuts are like chips, once I start there's no stopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We know you are not nuts, we know you do not over imbibe ~~~ I would check the house for fairies and ghosts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This had a solid flowing rhythm Bev, and it was inviting to read — and it made me smile my friend. 🙂 …excellent writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ending made me smile! I can't imagine where they all went! I am sure they were very good with your wine! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this was a fun write, Beverly! Pleased you enjoyed your wine and nibbles :-) thank you for taking part!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very, very cute & funny, Bev!

    yours,
    David [ben Alexander]

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt your poem is rhythmic. Though not, why to worry, ours is another pattern of versing. You might have eaten the nuts and finished the wine, as you might have been in the world of verses. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A mystery with nuts beautifully written. Your rhyme is always wonderful Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am the same way with summertime blueberries. I can't be trusted alone with them. Neither can one of my nieces.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to share this one with my Piano Man. He must learn that I'm not the only one with invisible mouths eating my nuts. The struggle is real!

    The rhythm made it fun.

    ReplyDelete