Sunday, February 27, 2022

THE SUNDAY MUSE 200

                                                  A BIT ABOUT ME

I was born in middle of nowhere Illinois 88 years ago, attended a one-room country school and, after highschool , Brown’s Peoria School of Business. From there, on to Miami, Florida, secretary to the administrator of Variety Children’s Hospital, worked in the Surgical Dictation Pool at Jackson Memorial Hospital, then returned to Illinois when my father had life-threatening surgery.  When he regained health, it was on to Indianapolis, where after a brief stint as secretary of the associate director of Lilly Endowment, Inc. Along the way I married and had a son and a daughter and took time being a mother.  Later  I started as medical transcriptionist and climbed the corporate ladder of Medical Records Inc. to the position of regional supervisor until I retired in 1999.  I’ve dabbled in oil painting, miscellaneous arts, creating journals, recreational writing and, of course, poetry.  I live with my son and wife in an over-55 community in Plainfield, Indiana.   I chose the photo of the forgotten villa by Romain Thiery, which inspired the following poem:

Show me a photo of something old and abandoned

And I lapse into what used to be

I wonder at what viewers will conjure

At an abandoned old photo of me.

11 comments:

  1. What an interesting and varied life you have lived, Bev. That old piano picture appealed to me too and reminded me of the movie The Pianist, where he was playing piano in an abandoned building during the war. LOL re the old photos of us....I wonder the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a wonderful question! I see old photos at the thrift store all the time. I failed to realize, some day, those might be my image.
    So sad to think of them being abandoned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have never had a dull moment Bev, working so many interesting and varied jobs and raising a family too. I am glad you are enjoying retirement! I love your mention at the end. Thank you for joining in for our celebration week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and I know full well what these decades have taught us .. cheers, Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo!!!

    Thanks for dropping by my blog today

    Much💚love

    ReplyDelete
  6. At our ages we tend to reminisce when we see old, ancient, rusty, mottled, name it, it reminds us of some experience we have lived. Nice.
    We have similar births and life experiences, we live several blocks from our younger daughter, of all Houston area's choices. We are the same ages; I will be 89 in October (30th). I was born in a farmhouse, went to a one room school (Nebraska), and had various duty sessions and stations. Differences too, I have five kids, married twice, second now for 49 years. Five kids, six grands, four great-grands, and two great-great-grands. Several in-law kids and more in the waiting. My wife is a Southern lady from Louisiana.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful poem--it hit home, as I've been going through old photos lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beverly, you're right, some photos you look at and know there are way more than a thousand words to tell. I am sure they would see the twinkle in your eye and imagine quite a history. I'm glad to read your poems knowing they come from a seasoned view. You are blessed to live with loving family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading this.

    I wonder about that too. How will people see my life when I'm gone?
    Had no time to write something about myself.
    Will do next week.

    ReplyDelete