Sunday, June 27, 2021

FOREST SUMMER

 The Sunday Muse #166


FOREST SUMMER

Deep in the forest

the she-wolf combats the searing heat

by standing in the cool, dark stream.

Nearby, the pups are napping,

too listless in the heat 

to play their usual games.

It's silent in the forest, 

as if the birds lack the energy to sing. 

Small creatures are seeking

respite in shady places, and a

steamy silence hangs over all.

A distant rumble of thunder

promises a cooling shower.

The forest waits....









14 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Bev.......I can feel the heat - poetically and in reality - we are in the grip of an unprecedented heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heat steams from your poetry Bev! I can feel it through your words. It has been hotter than normal in our area. It's going to be a rough summer in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "the pups are napping, / too listless in the heat" - right now *my* pup is napping, listless in the heat, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luv the ending not of anticipation.
    Happy Sunday

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly atmospheric - the heat is getting to me, all these miles away, as I read your words...♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can feel the thickness of the heat and the thunder brings promises of cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer heat slows the animals down, they have that built in with their other instincts? I got a little warm just reading this, good job!!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely writing, Bev. I felt, heard, saw what you presented to us. Sighs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice in vivo writing, painting a full sensory landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a very peaceful scene you have painted here, beverly, enjoyed very much

    ReplyDelete
  11. Immersive picture, I can feel the heat. So well written.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree I feel this poem also. It reminds me of a still summer day when even the blessing of water doesn't ease the tension of waiting for cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete