Monday, June 28, 2021

THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE

 Weekly Scribblings #76, and our task is to use one of a few phrases using the word "blank" that Rommy has given us.  While my poem is humorous, there's a bit of truth in it.  There are sometimes those  anonymous persons who seem to blend into a crowd and disappear....those who you don't remember on the morrow.   Submitted to Poets & Storytellers United, June 30, 2021.


THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE


There once was a fellow named Horace

Who proved that ignorance is bliss

The ladies identified Horace

By his blank stare and forgettable kiss


But Horace was a happy fellow

Though greatly uninformed was he

What you don’t know won’t hurt you

Was the basis of his philosophy. 


In a  crowd Horace was hardly noticed

A blank slate with his famous blank stare

In fact, when folks looked closely

He simply wasn’t there !

10 comments:

  1. He's not a man of much substance, eh? Charming, but also a little spooky when I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We know you will NEVER disappear from our memories / hearts. Like your blank slate guy! I enjoyed the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad he was happy in his anonymity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should all learn to love life and not be like your Horace. Sadly though it may be their upbringing as a child that makes them like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bev, you made me smile, even chuckle — thank you my friend. I needed that… 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope Horace doesn't have high expectations of himself, the rate he is going he will always be fairly blank.
    You described him so very well, Beverly, I'd know him if I could only see him.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me of an Agatha Christie mystery. Love it.

    ReplyDelete