Sunday, June 27, 2021

THE BELL

 Writers' Pantry #76.   Considering the suggested "what's easy and what's right", I'm reminded that life is about choices, and we're constantly presented with the temptation to choose what's easy.  Unfortunately, there are no do-overs!   Submitted to Poets & Storytellers United, June 27, 2021

********************


THE BELL

Of all the things I’ve learned

That I remember well

One stands out loud and clear

You can’t unring a bell


Life’s a series of choices

To be considered well

Once made, it’s as if they’re written in stone

And you can’t unring the bell


No doubt the road to perdition

That vaunted  sinners’ road to hell

Is paved with the unwise choices

Of those who couldn’t unring the bell


14 comments:

  1. Perfect! I also wonder about the sound of the rung bell. Where does it go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise and true. Once we do something, it will stay done. We can only hope to be lucky enough to be able to try again, and ring that bell better or differently or not at all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true!
    a great metaphor for a wrong choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have strings of tiny bells hung on the side frame of my living room door, so that each body that steps through the doorway, invariable sets them chiming merrily.. I also have a similar string on the long curtain across the patio window - it gives what you might call a musical ride each time the curtains are closed or opened!. Does this mean I have bell mania? LOL ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone, somewhere will take issue with you, and say, "Oh, surely, in an alternate universe it is possible to unring a bell." (Anyway, it's fun to imagine.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should write something about that. "What if it were possible to un-ring a bell?"

      Delete
  6. Hmmm... I wonder if there's no one to hear the bell ringing, like the proverbial tree falling, we could try again? I'm not sure many consider "well" their choices. I know I certainly didn't when I was younger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The repetition is like a bell ringing! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ding Ding Ding...We have a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a powerful metaphor that is: 'You can't unring a bell.' That statement in itself seems to go 'clang!' with finality.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wise, and to echo the others, the repetition is so effective ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think if more people realized how far those soundwaves could travel, they'd choose to leave many bells unrung

    ReplyDelete
  12. road to hell
    Is paved with the unwise choices
    Of those who couldn’t unring the bell.... wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful. My unwise choices could be a carillon.

    ReplyDelete