Wednesday, November 10, 2021

THE CONSOLE RADIO

POETICS TUESDAY  and Laura asks us to take a page from our memory as basis for our poem.  I could not seem to get my memory in poem form, so I offer it in prose, still so vivid in my memory.  Submitted to dVerse 11/10-21.

 


Prominent in my memory is the console 

radio that sat by my father’s rocking chair. 

I remember December, 1941, when it brought

somber news of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

I remember the voice of Gabriel Heater as he

reported each evening on the battles “of our

boys” as World War II progressed.  I sat beside  

it, an old blackboard across the arms of

father’s chair for my desk as I did homework

and listened to the soap operas of the day. such as

“Our Gal Sunday”, a little girl from a mining town

in the West who tried to find happiness married to a 

wealthy and titled Englishman”. That radio is

part of the fabric of my memories growing up

during World War ii.

7 comments:

  1. I love this story. I can’t imagine having to do homework during such a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great and interesting memories Beverly. I remember the upright radio very well. We listened to dragnet and the Lone Ranger. On Saturday night I listened to the WWVA Jamboree out of Wheeling West Virginia. It was a great furniture piece. Lots of great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. radio days - the best of days you brought us here when families share space and time in listening instead of being transported away by TV visuals

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fascinating and historic memories! A privilege to read about them, Beverly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great story from WWII. I can see it clear.

    ReplyDelete