Saturday, January 1, 2022

THOSE WERE THE TIMES

 THE SUNDAY MUSE, submitted 1/1/22



THOSE WERE THE DAYS

I  remember once upon a time

(and even then I wrote in rhyme)

the side pocket on my 2001 Buick

LaSabre spoke for places I’d been and

places I planned to go.  It was packed

with memories of good friends and

good times, and plans for further

journeys.  We were trusty traveling

companions, my Buick, my friends 

and I,  until I  finally sold it in 2020 

for a smaller model that would take 

less room in the garage. Thhe years

had passed and I remained the only

traveler.   I sold it to a deaf young 

man who needed a reliable car, and 

reliable my Buick was!  He won’t hear 

the echoes of raucous  laughter, the secrets 

told of our husbands' escapades won't shock 

him…..and he won't hear the dreams we had 

that stayed forever dreams. 


9 comments:

  1. even a hearing you man would never know these things - happy days Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only are you beginning a new chapter, so is the car. I hope both continue to travel having grand adventures that make cherished memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My current 2001 VW Cabrio salutes your former Buick ... yes, those were some wonderful, wild and wooly days! Wishing everyone in your household a great, healthy, peaceful 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful memories and travels Bev! We both gravitate to the rhyming write. I have missed you lately! So glad you joined us for the 1st Muse of 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Hope a cheerful spirit remains in the car. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice memories.Stay safe and drive carefully. Dont know what is like in your part of the world but we have some very agro drivers here who tailgate you if you dont drive fast enough

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, those dreams that stayed forever dreams - so poignant. But sounds like there were many fun road trips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those were the days indeed, Bev. I can see you in the LaSabre, we had a group of young ladies who cruised the streets of Lincoln, NE. They seldom stopped but they seemed to like me, depending on who was with me.
    I like the idea of the car remembering too. My best friend had to be in the YWCA by eleven on weeknights and midnight on weekends so I'd join my cruising friends after I'd taken her to the "Y".
    ..

    ReplyDelete