Saturday, June 27, 2020

Sunday Muse #114

Sunday Muse #114, and we’re
Presented with a photo for
Inspiration … a single rose
lost in the mists of time (at least
that’s what I saw).
Submitted June 27, 2020
*******************


Page 96
I turned the well-worn page
in the tattered book of poems as
I sat in my favorite used book
store on a rainy afternoon. There,
perfectly pressed, was a single red
rose.  Someone’s memory, I mused,
and pondered the occasion.  Then
I noted the title on the stained page
 … “Broken Promises”… and I saw it all
 as a captured moment, a time capsule 
of sorrow.  I left it undisturbed 
for the next reader to pull the dusty 
little book from the shelf … the next 
to consider the story on
Page 96

11 comments:

  1. I always find that markers of past emotion are always particularly poignant. Sadness now is simply sadness. Sadness in say 1962 or 1928 has a certain romance, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect mystery to linger over. I am missing used book store at the moment & looking forward to returning to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the emotion that must have gone into that act. Poignant words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Beverly this is an amazing poem! Full with depth and beauty as are memories. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this ... now I am imagining what might going on by the time one gets to page 250!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A page in history with lots of eventualities to provoke the mind. It can lead to a start of a new poem,in fact! A good twist Bev!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I left it undisturbed
    for the next reader to pull the dusty
    little book from the shelf" -- great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful poem of mystery. I can picture the rose resting in the worn pages. I am now pondering the story on page 96.

    … “Broken Promises”… and I saw it all
    as a captured moment, a time capsule

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness this is so beautiful. It went straight to my heart. I love how the tiny book was left for someone else to ponder the rose and poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see we both interpreted this as a memento to lost things.. Yours is however infinitely more captivating and hopeful in a counter intuitive way...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, it is better to let others discover this as well.

    ReplyDelete