Wednesday, June 17, 2020

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

Wednesday Scribblings, and Magaly asks us
to consider the phrase “If all else fails” and
share our solution in our Wednesday poem.
Submitted to Poets & Storytellers United
June 17, 2020
*******************

when all else fails and disaster is all I hear
I get in the car and put it in gear
travel down a peaceful meandering road
where mile by mile, my cares unload
the smog of the city and it’s murder a day
soon seem at a distance and fall away
the grass is green, the trees are tall
the peaceful scene seems away from it all
crops in the field, basking in sun
farmer’s on the porch, day’s work done
gives a friendly wave to each passerby
expecting (and getting) a friendly reply
soon my faith is restored, my kinks are unfurled
I’m feeling some hope for this troubled old world..

11 comments:

  1. Your poem describes one of the things I miss most about living in or near the country. Open terrain, clean air, the scent of fields is natural therapy. I shall close my eyes and join you for a drive (in spirit).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a glorious feeling it is to get away from it all in times like these. Visiting my daughter at her farm is really good stress relief!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have friends who love driving and use it just like that. Alas, not something I enjoy so much – but luckily I don't live in a city, so I don't need to travel to find restorative rural scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a good day for a drive. There is something about "getting away from it all" that can put everything in a new perspective. It's been so long since I've gone for a drive I forgot about how good it feels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so love a drive in the country. It helps clear the dark places in me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've done that a lot, especially in my earlier life. By car, Vespa scooter, or motorcycle. My favorite rides were into old Mexico and travel their side along the Rio Grande until the next bridge into the U.S. Doing the same in New Hampshire was great too.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't recommend the Mexico side these days, folk have been riled up there.
      ..

      Delete
  7. I used to love getting in the car and just driving, but I’m still being shielded, can’t go too far, and I’m beginning to wonder if I’ll remember how to drive! The open road is exciting, but I ‘m lucky to live in the countryside, with fields and big skies, so I don’t have to go anywhere. I love the expression ‘my kinks are unfurled’!

    ReplyDelete