Wednesday, July 28, 2021

HAND OF GOD

Weekly Scribblings #80  and Rosemary challenges us to write of Sudden Moments … unexpected and memorable moments.  I apologize if this sounds like a travelogue but this was truly the most memorable moment of my life. 


In September, 1999, my travel companions and I set off on a trip to the great American Southwest.  Born and reared on the vast prairie of Illinois, this trip promised my introduction to such sites so unfamiliar to me as Albuquerque, Santa Fe, the cliff dwellings of the ancients, a narrow gauge railroad trip along the Animas River in the San Juan mountains to the Grand Mesa and the Sawtooth Mountains, wending our way to Grand Junction, Colorado, near where I had my “Sudden Moment”.  We’d booked a drive on the Rim Rock Drive of the Colorado National Monument.  For 26 miles across mesa tops and along canyon walls offering the most spectacular views my eyes had ever seen, I was awestruck and speechless.  To this prairie girl, it was like touching the hand of God, and I was moved to tears.   I’ve had many wonderful adventures in my life, seen beautiful sights, but nothing has equaled the majesty and grandeur of that wondrous place.  I will remember it always.  


9 comments:

  1. Some adventures are worthy to be etched in memory.
    Happy you dropped by my blog today

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  2. No apologies necessary! I can imagine the power of that impression on you, particularly as you convey it so well. I live in a beautiful country, but many years ago I saw a friend's slides of his trip through America and was awestruck at its spectacular grandeur, equalling if not surpassing anything we have here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I so want to go there, an that piece is 'rich' in the splendour of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very pretty, we turned south at Grand Junction and drove on down to Telluride where our ex-neighbor had a ranch. I wish we'd have gone the other way up to your ride. Pictures?
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful tribute to American south west. There is so much of the world that is a delight to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had the pleasure of visiting that part of the country. Thank you for taking us there with you with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful, Bev. I love the details and the emotions. It makes me think of how I felt the first time I walked around Joshua Tree National Park at night, under the full moon--magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are moments in nature that make us realize the grandeur and majesty of this world we live in.

      Delete
  8. Such awesome beauty in this world, if you stop and look.

    ReplyDelete