Tuesday, July 27, 2021

RETROSPECT

Poetics Tuesday, and we’re asked to consider proverbs poetically.  What fun to tell a proverbial story!  Submitted to dVerse July 27, 2021

***************

                  RETROSPECT

Among the blind a one-eyed man was king

An empty vessel who made much noise

He blew his own trumpet loudly

Soon he proved appearance can be deceptive

And all that glitters is not gold

A bad workman always blames his tools

And a leopard can’t change his spots

Soon curses came home to roost

And even the blind began to see

Kicking and screaming, he lost his seat

And, unbelieving, denied defeat

The people awoke from the long dark night

They’d learned an empty bag can’t stand upright

20 comments:

  1. An empty bag of...well, I won't say that word here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I amused myself here. So proud I'd managed to write without rhyme, I now see in the last four lines I lapsed into rhyming!

      Delete
  2. Megaproverbial work, Beverly! Conga rats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the conclusion, Bev. I'm glad we woke up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was great Bev! I loved it and you used so many proverbs. Well done! ☺️πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  5. You covered a myriad of them here Bev — well done! πŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of which goes to show, a proverb means all things to all men :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love what you did with this one. Such a great metaphor...
    And an empty bag full of hot air...does not create truth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving this one!! So funny, you simply must revert to rhyme. And always OK with this reader.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully done, Beverly!! πŸ’πŸ’

    ReplyDelete
  10. that last line is so epic, Ms. Beverly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done! All those proverbs lead to truth!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Bev! You brought in the whole bunch of beautiful ones. One just can't help but see the wisdom underlying each of them. You relate them so smoothly between them!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  13. This says so much about so many. We all are prone. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was fun to read - it read rather like a fragmented fairytale :-)

    ReplyDelete