Thursday, July 29, 2021

MONOTETRA

Thursday brings us Poetry Form, and the monotetra is offered by Grace.  The intricate and convoluted rules for some poetry forms simply talk me into stop...something about old dogs and new tricks, no doubt. For all my long years, I've been a "seat-of-the-pants" rhyming poet knowing nothing of proper poetic terms or forms, but no doubt metrical footing more often than not, not knowing what it was!  This is my first foray into monotetra....sort of!  Submitted to dVerse, July 29, 2021

*****************************************        

                                                                     MONOTETRA

A monotetra is our task

Seems to me a lot to ask

Count the syllables, make it neat

Metrical feet, metrical feat


Who can remember how to rhyme

Counting syllables all the time

While garnering the words to use

Stifles my muse, stifles my muse





 

16 comments:

  1. You made me laugh out loud. 😄 You perfectly sum up my feelings when I first started writing bound forms. Counting syllables in English is so different from Swedish. But with practice and a certain rule breaking streak, when it benefits the poem. My muse now dance with metrical feets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene, I love: "My muse now dance with metrical feet."

      Delete
  2. Love this one Bev. Metrical feet and counting are challenges for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Counting does indeed stifle my muse. Love how you worked this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh!! my god!! what a beautiful description and a beautiful justice to the form!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, go on! You know you love this type of poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I got mine completely wrong. Maybe I'm too old to follow direction. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I giggled hard! With tongue firmly in cheek you've have captured my feelings for most metered poetry forms and I adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate free form poetry, but I prefer writing to forms. Sorry you are frustrated by the shackled feet of the muse (playing on what Helene said.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can identify...it's a game, but sometimes you don't feel like playing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha! So love this. I find counting syllables robs the essence of my verses sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha I so love the humor in this one, Bev 💝💝

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent! :D <3

    ReplyDelete