Wednesday, March 10, 2021

SCARRED

 Wednesday Scribblings, and Magaly asks us to consider broken relationships in this week’s scribblings….a painful place to visit.  I leave it to the reader to decide whether "the girl" is fact or fiction.  Submitted to Poets & Storytellers United, March 20, 2021

*******************************


The girl managed to reach the age of 45, still filled with blind trust, somehow never encountering duplicity and deceit nor expecting it.  How devastating was the deception and how overwhelming the knowing she was the last to know the betrayal of her trust.  Slowly, methodically rebuilding self-esteem, she ultimately became a wiser woman, but sadly never again  so open-hearted and trusting. The girl guards well a part of her self, vowing never to be betrayed again.  If you met the girl today, you would think her a strong and self-confident woman.  You would not know she carries within the deep and lasting scar.  

10 comments:

  1. "Slowly, methodically rebuilding self-esteem, she ultimately became a wiser woman,"

    Every word above is carefully chisen and well fitted. Cheers to HER

    Happy you dropped by to read mine

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betrayal has a lot to answer for. Few wounds hurt so deeply. Your poem says it well, when it comes to betraying, the effects are "deep and lasting".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, she's factual all right – with any number of different names and bodies. A sad story much too common; applause for those (not all) who succeed in growing stronger and wiser, albeit sadder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The question I guess I have is if it was willful blindness. Was it innocence or naivete. In either case, it is still brutal when the blinders are removed and eyes opened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mistakes are usually great educators; we learn a lot from them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tis the stuff of literature and the Bible..Betrayal features in both.Part of life.Better to be betrayed than betray. Good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Change the girl to me and the sexes of the parties and that was me at age thirty-six. After that I too was so leary of any relationship, that good things could fly apart at any time.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there’s a bit of us all in that girl, Bev. Well captured!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I resonate with this. People ask me why I don't "try to find love again." "It's been long enough." "There are good guys out there."
    I am not them and they don't know my pain. I'm better off without it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'the girl guards well a part of her self' ~~~~ I sincerely hope this is fiction.

    ReplyDelete