Saturday, August 19, 2017

13 WAYS OF LOOKING AT A ROCK

In the spirit of Wallace Stevens’
“13 Ways of Looking at a Blackbird”,
I’ve taken a look at famous rocks.
Submitted to Poets United Poetry Pantry #367
August 20, 2017




Ancient Phoenician landmark
Pillar of Hercules
Rock of Gibraltar

Aboriginal sacred site
Uluru, red behemoth
in Australia’s outback

Giant head on Easter Island
standing silently in mystery
through the centuries

Endless task of Sisyphus
pushed onto the hilltop
falling again to valley floor

Stone of Blarney
kissed by many
famous bit of Irish lore

Plymouth Rock beside the shore
welcome sight to Pilgrims
arriving to new land

Imposing Devil’s Tower
thrusting upward
from Wyoming’s vast expanse

Signature Rock on westward trail
where steadfast pioneers
left their marks for history

Rosetta stone
that cracked the code
of Egypt’s ancient hieroglyphs

Rushmore’s rock of faces
countenances of history
worn smooth by wind and rain

Part of Stonehenge Circle
holding fast the secrets
of ancient druids

Haystack Rock of Oregon
legacy of ancient lava
sentinel at Pacific shore

Faithful voices raised in chorus
“On Christ, the solid rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand.”

*******************
*Photo is my own digital art.

19 comments:

  1. This is truly amazing,
    Have a lovely Sunday Bev

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your ways of looking at a rock...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the different shades of meaning that you found in a rock! What a reflective piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the 13 ways of blackbird, and you brought a refreshing image to the style...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderfully deep and contemplative write, Bev!💘

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much lore in rocks....they mark history and are often overlooked. I really enjoyed your look at rocks Bev!

    Donna@LivingFromHappiness

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the poem, love the digital art. I am drawn to rocks of all sorts and would have loved to visit the Standing Stones this lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so enjoyed your poem, I think a bit of synchronicity was in play today. Rocks and stones seem to have a story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very imaginative! Great messages.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant extended metaphor ... impactful ... moving ... stirring. And I loved your artwork, to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a feast! And the last one lifted me up totally.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found myself counting the ones I've visited and adding a few to my bucket list :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely. I was also a bit 'rocky' today :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the iteration of standing stones, placed and lifted or found and adored -- all are true norths of something in us needing grounding and substance and permanence. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great list of rocks! I love your Easter Island photo. And I like the way the poem moves to the triumphant declaration of the last verse, with that great use of repetition to make a culmination.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The ancient monuments and natural formations always bring us back to earth with regard to our own place in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, so well found. Love your image and poem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sisyphus is my favorite, although I'm sure the endless task was hardly his favorite!

    ReplyDelete