Tuesday, August 1, 2017

THE END?

Paul at dVerse has asked us to contemplate
"The End" and its meaning to us.  For
once, I didn't think in rhyme!
Submitted to dVerse Poetics
August 1, 2017
Related image

 We equate the end with death … but we don’t like to call it dying.  We say a dear one has “passed”, or we use euphemisms like “drop off the perch”, “take a dirt nap”, “meet your maker”, or “enter into the long sleep”.   I’ve always felt we live our life in chapters.  When one chapter ends, another begins … the end of childhood is the beginning of being an adult; the end of being single is the beginning of being married; the end of a job is the beginning of retirement; and so on. Every ending is a new beginning.  My father was much revered by all in his family.  When he died, we were all gathered in his hospital room to say our last goodbyes, and when he took his final breath we went to the hospital nursery to see the new babies, to remind us of the circle of life.  At times in my life when I’ve felt a bit depressed, I’ve sought a new interest to rejuvenate my spirit.   A new beginning never fails to spark enthusiasm.   So, when my life reaches an end and I pass into the Great Perhaps,  I’ve told my children I want my epitaph to be “What’s Next?”

*********************
*  The question mark at the end of the title is NOT a typographical error.

18 comments:

  1. "So, when my life reaches an end and I pass into the Great Perhaps, I’ve told my children I want my epitaph to be 'What’s Next?'"

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! "Whats next," or....not. I think that is what nature tells us, with each beginning, there will be an end, and with each ending, there will be a new beginning, even if we don't know what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Bev.It appears as matter of fact but actually has a profound cloak of deeper meaning wrapped about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem Bev! " A new beginning never fails to spark enthusiasm." I love this line and the spirit in your poem.  

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'The Great Perhaps'. What wonderful descriptive prose you have written here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Great Perhaps made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We say passed because we believe that there is a world beyond this one and that in death we merely exit our material body and return home. Since nothing in life is ever wasted and since energy cannot be destroyed, only transformed, this outcome is most likely even if most fear it is not.

    Thanks for your thought-provoking words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Every ending is a new beginning." This is so true. Love the spark of humor in 'What next'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What next, indeed? Keep moving and growing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think of life in chapters too, Bev. I think it's easier that way. I love your suggestion of the Great Perhaps. My feelings too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You echo what so many of us in the winter of our lives con template; nice job.
    I echo what Ros wrote--death is a doorway--fear is futile. The Zen beliefs resonate well with me, but the hundreds of the world's religions all have their own take on the "after life". I love your take. The folks who believe in the "Great Nothing" make me sad. I adored, and will not forget, your story of visiting new borns immediately after your father died.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your spirit and I think that is a great epitaph showing both your optimistic philosophy and your sense of humor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whatever's next, even if the answer is, nothing, shouldn't change how we live. You're right about the euphemisms, either making light of what is the most important stage after birth, or refusing to look it in the eye out of fear. What's next, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful account. Starting from the beginning, it's filled with insightful words. How you visited babies at the hospital, it's just pure brilliance and the question at the end too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun. Like taking on a new Rubik Cube!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A large streak of optimism in your outlook - the births at a death and the positive way of beholding the unknown. A good person to be around!

    ReplyDelete