Friday, August 4, 2017

MODERN FAIRY TALE


Sometimes I think fairy tales should
have happier endings, so I've revised
the story of Little Red Riding Hood to
suit my fancy.
Submitted to Poets United Poetry Pantry #367
August 6, 2017
 Related image

The little girl with cloak of red
Tucked in her basket a loaf of bread
Set off through the woods with a hop & a skip
She always enjoyed the forest trip
To her grandma’s house, all snug and warm
With never a thought of fear or harm.
The wolf himself was in the woods
Seeking his dinner and other goods
He stalked through the trees with heavy tread
Until he saw the cloak of red.
She skipped so happily it warmed his heart
And he ceased the mischief he’d thought to start.
Smiling to himself, he said
“I think I’ll not bother the girl in red.
It’s elsewhere I’ll look for what I seek
I’ll let her pass by with only a peek.
Her smile made for me a brighter day
So I’ll not bother her on her way."

And so it is, and the rule is thus
What we give to others, comes back to us.

************************

17 comments:

  1. Well, this puts a twist in the original tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! Reminds me of an article I saw the other day about some explorers in the Arctic. A curious young wolf popped his head through the window of the tent, just curious, wondering who the people were, no harm intended. I do think wolves are very misrepresented. I loved reading a friendly version of Little Red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How to turn a fairy tale int an Aesop's fable! Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only everything ended this way and the wolves all decided to retract.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It could have happened like that. I think the red was protective too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do enjoy a happy ending, I wish life was like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful 'take' on an old standard. I can envision a book of these 'tales' - with the 'scary' removed. I never could quite figure out, who thought it was a great idea to pack little children off to bed with wolves and witches. Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your version of the tale! A sympathetic wolf gives me a smile today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's quite another story then 🙂🙂🙂

    ReplyDelete
  10. If fairy tales are full of fancy, why not retell them to fit our fancy? And these days, we need some happy endings... So, I'm glad you wrote the wolf nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a good karma on the wolf's part :) Love this version.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That wolf must have read some of Mother Teresa's (now Saint Teresa) quotes (✿◠‿◠)

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this twist in the fairy-tale! Beautifully penned!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh, if only life was like that. (I guess that makes it truly a fairy-tale.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do like your version much better than the original. And you are right, good that is given always returns to you. We need to remember that every day and act accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Monday WRites #117 is live, i invite you to link in

    much love...

    ReplyDelete