Tuesday, August 10, 2021

A WOMAN'S PLACE


 Poetics Tuesday, and we're asked to "conjure an imaginary house of any size" and "fill it with imaginary people/person".  I've chosen a 1950's little Cape Cod house and a typical housewife of the time (and admit I know whereof I write!)  Submitted to dVerse, August 10, 2021

*****************



Summer lay on the land

in a suffocating blanket of humidity.

Leaves clung listlessly to their branches,

scarcely moving in the dense air.  

The sun shone relentlessly

on lawns so thirsty they crunched underfoot.

Even the birds seemed unable to summon 

the energy to sing.  All was quiet

on Maple Street, except for the hum 

ot the laboring window air conditioners.

In the tidy Cape Cod at 1423 Maple

the housewife tied on a fresh apron

and looked out her kitchen window.

Her husband would be home from work

any time now.  She poured sweet tea

over the tall glass of ice he expected when 

he arrived home from work.   For a moment, 

she thought of the time before marriage

when she was working, and the excitement

of feeling useful and alive.  As she

reminisced, she saw his car pulling into

the driveway.  Sighing, she went to the door

to greet him with a smile.  It was, after all,

1952, and a woman’s place was in the home. 

14 comments:

  1. And now we are not in our homes enough. Wonderful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really not a bad place to be...but I'd pour two glasses of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great opening line Bevelry. The 50s were a time long gone. The memories on the other hand never leave. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a touch of Stepford wife here Bev - the listlessness of house and air perfectly mirrors that inner world of the wife here. I loved these lines and can imagine them as the start of a song
    "All was quiet

    on Maple Street"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I was very fortunate to be a stay-at-home Mom until the children were in Jr. High, then went back to work and, after my husband died, had a successful career. I had the best of both worlds!

      Delete
  6. This is beautifully evocative, Bev! 💝💝

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your heartfelt composition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is sweet, and true! My Mother was one of the housewives you described until our Dad died .. she was 34 with three daughters to raise ~~ entering the work force for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your time capsule poem, Beverly. Your descriptions really took me there. Reminds me of when I was a kid and my mom had a hot dinner waiting for my dad when he came home from work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope there were some women in the 50s who got more from life than this. Tragic really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder how many people were truly satisfied by this arrangement.

    ReplyDelete