Sunday, August 22, 2021

RAINY DAYS

It's Writers' Pantry #84.  Magaly mentioned rainy days and reading up a  storm....a marriage made in heaven!   The rainy days of my childhood were always special, and I've never lost my love for a rainy day.  Submitted to Poets and Storytellers United, August 22, 2021. 

*******************

                                                            RAINY DAYS

 The song says “Rainy days and Mondays always get me down”, but not me!  As early as I can remember, I’ve loved rain.  In our part of the Illinois prairie, you could see the spring rain clouds building from miles away over the vast flatness, their skirts billowed out like great clucking mother hens.  By the time they reached the far edge of the corn field beside the house, you could see the leading edge of the curtain of rain.  The distant patter on the corn leaves crescendoed to a wonderful rat-a-tat as the first big splats set off spurts of dust in the barnyard.  Ah, the wonderful earthy, fresh, sweet smell of rain!   Growing up, I remember sitting on the porch so I could savor every minute of a daytime shower.  If the rain came at night when I was in my bed snugged up against a window under the eaves, I’d move my pillow and lie with my nose against the screen, watching the breeze toss the limbs of the old elm tree in the front yard where my rope swung hung.  I never wanted to miss a minute.

Rainy days now are still  special.  I most always want to bake cookies….fat, fragrant chocolate chip cookies.  Then, I want to take up a good book and settle into a cozy  corner with every window open so I don’t miss a thing.   My mother used to say of rain “God’s doing his laundry” and her words always come to mind.  

14 comments:

  1. Books and cookies...can't think of a better way to spend a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Sunday. Happy you dropped by my blog today. Its raining now here 🇹🇹

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add a cup of tea, and that sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful description/recollection! The rainy days of my childhood (in a temperate climate) were much like that, nice and cosy indoors while enjoying the sound and sight of the rain outside. Here in the sub-tropics, rain is of course needed at times, but somehow seems bleak and miserable. But it is still a good excuse for reading (if one needed much excuse).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in Rockford Illinois but my grandparents, great, great great... etc all had farmland in Northern IL areas. It is flat and I adore your description of the billowing skirts of clouds...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wonder it seemed familiar. I grew up in the Pontiac/Streator area not far from Rockford! The prairie rainstorms were wondrous!

      Delete
  6. very well said bev, i too love rain, even the thunder and lightning. i love the smell (i'm smelling it as we speak, and i hope it rains soon!) and here's the best, when i'm up the colorado rockies camping... thats the best rain of all. shanks for shaing this bev!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love the rain. When I was small I would sail my "boats" (generally a small bottle with a lid) in the running little streams, sometimes thinking that they might reach an ocean to later be found. Grown up, I loved to run in the rain, generally I would think I might be running in a fashion somewhat resembling that of a deer. Now walking with an umbrella in the rain is my thing.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Beatles sang that it was just a state of mind. Rain, I don't mind. I like it for the garden but when it pours, I feel unsettled.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love rain too and nothing better than a walk in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. rain is refreshing.
    this is a very beautiful description of rain in the prairies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes! The Illinois prairie, farmland, sleeping on our screened porch during a summer rain …. Love how you triggered that memory!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, have a special place in my heart for rainy days. While growing up, in the Dominican Republic, my siblings and I used to spend rainy days sliding on the grass, playing cards, reading, or telling stories. The latter always felt extra special when raindrops were dancing merrily on the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, so beautiful! Everything from the description of rainy days during your childhood up to the baking of fat, fragrant chocolate chip cookies and cosying with a good book, how inviting! Rainy days are special.

    ReplyDelete