Sunday, August 29, 2021

NEWS

Writers' Pantry #85.   It's a steamy Sunday morning in my world, and I've made the mistake of watching the morning news!   Submitted to Poets and Storytellers United, Augus 29, 2021.

****************

NEWS

Awake, dressed and hair combed,
I’d just put on my shoes
When I was plunged into deep despair…
I’d watched the morning news

Fires on the west coast, floods on the east
Pandemic everywhere
The Mexicans want in, the Afghans want out
And the Taliban are on a tear

Royal sibblings are quibbling, another politician is diddling
And the vaccinated are against the un-
The maskers are against the anti-maskers
And anti-NRA’s don’t want Annie to get her gun

A hurricane is coming
Sure to be a big blow
It’s headed for New Orleans
Yet another disaster tableau

It’s plain to see to even me
It’s as bad as it can get ….
Alas, I am quite ill prepared …
 I haven’t had my coffee yet!


 

15 comments:

  1. Hope you headed for the coffee pot .. strong and hot. I did watch a bit of news this morning ... then traded it for poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes coffee make it sll easier to swallow
    Thanks for dropping by my blog today Bev

    Much ❤ love

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not a good time anywhere in the world....a little whiskey in the coffee might help

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I couldn't relate to this one. But goodness knows that I do. There are days that I don't even want to listen to the news. So much going on in the world. And so much of it is really bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Royal sibblings are quibbling, another politician is diddling" that's not really news.. yet... it is news=) here's what you do from now on: wake up, have coffee, forget the news who needs it, enjoy you day, that's what i do =) great poem bev, i really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A brilliant combination of serious message and humorous writing! The tone is perfectly judged. And yes indeed, that first cup of coffee in the morning is essential.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Coffee is THE BEST preparation for facing ANY disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lesson learnt : enjoy your coffee before watching the morning news.
    but really, there isn't much good news lately.
    Enjoyed your poem greatly. it's really nice to read aloud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to call the Washington Post the "Morning Alarm & Despondency" before learning that it actually serves Real Washingtonians as more of a Morning Call-To-Action List. But it seems to me that the TV newscasts are *just* about drama, usually with a political twist that often turns out to be misleading. I'm glad they don't reach my home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some days require a cup of tea the size of a hot tub.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need another coffee every four hours to make it through times like these!

    ReplyDelete