Tuesday, August 3, 2021

IT'S GREEK TO ME

Tuesday Poetics, and Sarah refreshes for us the story of Persephone and Lughnaa from the Celtic calendar, and asks us to be inspired by the story.  I was inspired to poke some fun at it.  I ask the forbearance of the talented poets of dVerse.  I seem always to come out of left field with my poems.

Submitted to dVerse August 3, 2021, 

***********

            IT'S ALL GREEK TO ME

Are we to believe there were no seasons

Until Hades spirited Persephone away

And the seasons that occur on our old planet

Happen because Persephone ate a pomegranate?

This was construed by a king named Zeus

(Whom I would consider to have a screw loose)

He was her father, and Hades her uncle

Ceres, her mother, completes the kerfuffle

This family, the very epitome of dysfunction

Controls the seasons with little compunction

And poor Persephone has come to naught

Depressed, and thinking it’s all her fault.

So, this is what evolved from the truth I seek

It seems it was all started by some confounded Greek

   

18 comments:

  1. Well, I've got a broad grin here. You really bring things down to earth with a bang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of seasons and whether or not they existed before the abduction of Persephone. Gorgeously rendered! 💝💝

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patriarchy will do whatever it takes to keep men large and in charge, even deification and fantastic tales that they created seasons. I don't have a problem with creation myths per se, just the ones that sanctify rule by men.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha - definitely the epitome of a dysfunctional family. Those Ancient Greeks have a lot to answer for...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had so much fun with this, Beverly. It made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bev, I was thinking the same thing as you! It's such an odd idea... that there was no winter until the Persephone story played out! You're so right :)

    Yours,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those Greeks, I tellya! No, they're geniuses, all of them! Thanks for sharing. Loved reading. Be well. I wish you miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved what you wrote! An honest confession; it's all Greek to me too!;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I smiled all the way through this one Beverly. Your put it all into the correct perspective! Who would believe such foolishness!! Well done. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the title Bev! A perfect pun to the theme, fittingly rendered!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darn those Greeks! The second I realized the quasi incestuous thing going on between Uncle and Niece, I knew I was out of my element.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sense of humor, sarcasm and fun is always a welcome addition to the mix. For me, myths, like bible stories, are not literal, nor are they edict.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is hilarious! Love the "kerfluffle" and these words just made me grin:
    "This was construed by a king named Zeus
    (Whom I would consider to have a screw loose)"
    FABULOUS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This family, the very epitome of dysfunction

    Left me laughing my heart out, Ms. Beverly. HAHAHA Really good one.

    ReplyDelete