Thursday, June 22, 2017

A VILLANELLE

Frank meets us at the bar with a request for a villanelle,
which I consider to be a rather Machiavellian format,
akin to the dreaded "story problems" I abhored in school,
which, after circuitous route, ended in "How many people
were on the bus when it reached Topeka?" or some such. 
Nonetheless, I offer my feeble attempt ... my first villanelle.

Submitted to dVerse Poetics
June 22, 2017

*************
So many gods, so many creeds
So many ways to go astray
When love is all this old world needs.

Men fall victim to misdeeds
Power and money call their name
So many gods, so many creeds

Careless for the urge he feeds
Man  seems powerless to resist
When love is all this old world needs

Never guessing where it leads
The chosen path, the destiny
So many gods, so many creeds.

Wanting only to fill his needs
With no regard for implications
When love is all this old world needs.

Careless of the voice he heeds
Stumbling onward  toward his plight
So many gods, so many creeds
When love is all this old world needs.
****************

18 comments:

  1. It should be so easy... and I'm afraid in the end the need is another word for greed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to use greed, but was hung up on pleural forms and couldn't figure out how to fit it in!

      Delete
  2. I liked the message: love is all we need. I also liked the sound of the tetrameter line. It doesn't sound as wordy as the pentameter line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done for one who finds the form torturous :) The challenge and beauty of repetative forms like this and the Pantoun, is in finding that turn of phrase that can be read more than one way. You have done it admirably.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All you need is love. I'm a big Beatles (Lennon/McCartney) fan, so this resonates with me Beverly. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your message: When love is all this old world needs.

    Yes, we need love, beyond so many Gods and creeds ~ Congrats on your first villanelle Bev!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely concur with the content of your poem, and agree that there is more urgency in the tetrameter line. I like using tetrameter in villanelles also. Ideally all the middle lines should rhyme with one another as well, making the final quatrain a nice fit of the two rhyme schemes. But as it's your first villanelle, kudos for going for it. A poem is a poem on its merit, and rules are meant to be broken! So good work here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Preaching to the choir, it seems, dear Bev. For most to the MTB & FFA prompts. I usually fall short of perfection--but the joy is in the doing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. love is all the world neeeds!! absolutely!!! Agree about the form--like a story problem..ha ha!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe you had a hard time with this because I really did too, but it flows very easily- you make it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is effortlessly done Bev, form and content both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that first stanza. Says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The villanelle is one of my favorite forms but it is a tough one. You did an excellent job with this, Bev. I love the sentiment. I dreaded those word problems in school, too. They still baffle me to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Villanelle Beverly. Hank finds it a challenge to venture in and have great admiration for a well written one

    http://imagery77.blogspot.my/2017/06/ever-remembered-when-one-was-in-nursery.html

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the rhyme and its rhythm - the breaking in two of the first line works so well

    ReplyDelete