Saturday, June 24, 2017

PUBERTY AT 45

Just when we think we have life figured out, it has a
way of throwing us a curve ball.  This poem was written
at just such a time in my life.
Submitted to Poets United Poetry Pantry #359
June 25, 2017
***************

I approached forty-five in a manner quite staid
The children were grown, the mortgage almost paid
I had all the answers, I knew what came next
Retirement, grandchildren, just like in the text.

Then Fate shuffled the cards and dealt a new hand
“You’re alone now”, Fate said, “Just where do you stand?”
“I don’t know”, I shouted, as I dealt with my sorrow,
“But somehow I’ll manage to plan for tomorrow”.

So I set out to consider just where I’d belong
“You’ll do fine”, people said, “You’ve always been strong”.
Didn’t they know it was scary out there
Facing life as a single when you’d been half of a pair?

And I, who only yesterday had seemed to know it all,
In my single encounters felt exceedingly small.
Suddenly, in my middle years, thanks to fickle Fate,
To my utter amazement I accepted a date.

And the wizard of the PTA felt once again quite stupid
As now once more, as at sixteen, she’s targeted by cupid.
My thoughts turned back to the late-night talks
When my daughter sat on my bed.
So wise I was then, so opposite now
What great thing was it I’d said?

“Mother’s doing quite well”, said daughter to son.
“It’s good she’s found life still can be fun.”
And they, whom I’d counseled in this, that and the other
Now took up the task of bringing up mother.

“Remember our talks, Mom, when you expected the worst?
They’re the same now”, said daughter,
“But the roles are reversed“.
I’m grateful, Lord, you’ve let me know
It’s still good to be alive.
But, is there some way that we could forego
This puberty at forty-five?

18 comments:

  1. Oh, Bev, how I love this one--the delicious humor, the life, the truth dancing through the lines. I experienced the same sort of "puberty" in my late thirties, and goodness! how terrifying... and then, fun. And real. I, too, thank the universe.

    Thank you for sharing this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life should always have a dosw of humor. Thanks for this Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful! And your life went on, even after disaster. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! This is a delight.. and also contains a valuable lesson on parenting and living in a forward direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, it is good to know that one can begin again. When fate deals one an unexpected hand, one still can find a way to dance with it!! I enjoyed this poem & its philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great to be able to start again... though we can do without the pain in between... love the reversal of roles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, i love the role reversal......these daughters just cant do a thing with their mothers, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the way you still managed to plan for tomorrow. :) delightful read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been through that middle-aged puberty, and my daughters helped me through it. This was a delightful read, and walk down memory lane.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this! Life does take us down some unexpected paths ... a sense of humor is a gift that we give to ourselves and all we meet along the way. A wonderful write!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delight to read your poem! Yes time and fate the eternal conspirators :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful. We never can know what unexpected turns life will throw at us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a relief that every curve ball isn't aimed at our head! Puberty at 45 is I think like learning a new language late in life -- neither glib nor easy but o what depths we find!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great poem of the reversal of roles, especially the advice from the children.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A fun read and nice turn around. I sometimes do think that aging is like returning to girlhood.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the way you still managed to plan for tomorrow❤️ Delightful read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The closing lines made me laugh out loud. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete