Monday, June 12, 2017

SPORT

Bjorn requests our haibun/haiku feature sports
this week.  Oh my, sad tale to tell.
Submitted to dVerse
June 12, 2017



My city is most noted for being home to the  internationally known 500 Mile Race.  During the month of May we’re a mecca for racing aficionados, and in excess of 300,000 people attend the race itself.  In addition, we have a major league football team  a major league basketball team, a minor league baseball team, an ECHL ice hockey team, and the Circle City Derby Girls rollerskating team.   In the midst of all this testosterone(and estrogen)-driven activity, I am an island of inertia.  Everything I enjoy is sedentary…BUT all is not lost!  I am an enthusiastic spectator.  You want to talk sports?  I’m your woman.  You want to participate, you’re on your own.  All things considered, I am, however a good sport.
***********
Sporting days are past
But spectatorship abounds
Armchair gymnastics

18 comments:

  1. Haha! Armchair gymnastics! Love it. You always have a clever take on the prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Armchair gymnastics. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those drivers are also seated, but I would get dizzy doing what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm good at that kind of gymnastics too. We watched Ninja Warriors tonight, and I am convinced my body language carried a couple of them up and over that last obstacle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Armchair gymnastics - love that. I'm the total opposite and prefer participating than to watch myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I am an island of inertia." A very poetic description of self among all this din and bustle :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Armchair gymnastics is great. I'm sure you get some exercise from all that adrenaline!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Armchair gymnastics sounds similar to chair dancing, which I'm quite good at too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ah...I can relate to the armchair gymnastics! I still get down on the floor to do my form of yoga....as our Aunt Flo used to say, "Use it or lose it!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't realize? Armchair gymnastics...something I can do well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what fun! Love your words here, my friend :)
    I grew up a few hours north of Indy and am the only one in my family who never made the race down 31 in May. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You left out the NHRA Nationals drag racing (also in Indy)! But I love your Haiku! It fit your paragraph nicely. Question: Did you nail your landing? (armchair gymnastics) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot NASCARs Brickyard 400 and Raceway Park. Mea culpa!

      Delete
  13. I like the 'island of inertia' too. It sounds so much more relaxing to me than frenzied sportifications.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Armchair gymnastics"...love that. I do like to watch hockey and baseball, and one thing I'd love to see live is a roller derby event.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, the last lines brought a burst of laughter. However for me, they are on their own, talk or game. Such a lovely piece and the words, "Armchair gymnastic" resonates, as it does for many.

    ReplyDelete
  16. armchair gymnastics! what a line! a fun write

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh! I lived there for a few years in the 70's. I had the opportunity to visit the venue and drive the track as well as visit the museum. Yes, it is a very BIG DEAL for people who live in Indy.

    ReplyDelete