to consider things I used to think on life's
Submitted to Poets & Storytellers United
April 4, 2020
Life's been good to me, and I consider lessons learned and some of the things I used to think......
* I used to think if I gave someone my very best, I’d get their very best in return. I’ve learned, however, that with some people, their very best falls far below my expectations.
* I used to think people with a college degree were superior to me. I‘ve learned that being, perhaps, more knowledgeable does not equate to being superior.
* I used to think it was crucial to be at the head of the line at the traffic signal. Unfortunately, I still tend to feel this way.
* I used to think one day I’d be a size 10. I’ve come to realize time is running out.
* I used to think I was always right. I’ve learned that, on rare occasions, I can be wrong.
* I used to think “cough” and “sprinkle” had nothing whatsoever to do with one another, but I’ve come to know there’s a certain synchronicity. Think about it.
* I used to think everything was black or white, right or wrong; but I’ve come to know there are infinite shades of gray.
* I used to think John Edwards and Tiger Woods were honorable men.
* I used to think I would always wear stylish shoes, but now I’m comfortable in my orthopedic wedgies.
* I used to think “by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin” was about a bearded man, but now I know it is just about an old woman.