Wednesday, September 9, 2020

PHOENIX RISING

Weekly Scribblings #36.  We're asked to
consider the phrase "first a phoenix must
burn".  No poem or philosophy come to
mind, only glaring reality.  The photo is
the sky in Salem, Oregon at mid-afternoon.
Submitted to Poets & Storytellers United
September 9,  2020
***************************

Somehow this challenge seems all too close to reality when so many in western states are dealing with loss from the raging infernos there. The fires are 20 miles from my daughter’s home in Oregon and her city is on standby for evacuation.  Small towns not far from her have been reduced to ashes, and her city fairgrounds have been turned into a tent city for evacuees.  No doubt these little towns and their citizens will rebuild and rise like phoenix from the ashes of their devastating loss, but that seems far away at the moment, when the air is thick with smoke and the sky is red at mid-afternoon.  My heart is heavy and my prayers are raised for the brave firefighters who are fighting these fires.



10 comments:

  1. You know, I posted today's prompt sort of by accident. I had veen saving it for the Autumn Equinox, in order to discuss rebirth. Now I'm wondering if it wasn't the Butler quote that made me think of fires, but the troubles in the west. I hope with all my heart that your daughter and her home stay safe. Again, I will keep you and yours in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bev wishes that you and yours stay safe despite raging infernos

    Thanks for dropping by to read mine

    Much💓love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a situation occured in Australia in several states in our summer some months ago. Not only homes and lives lost but also many native species animals which will take some time to build back their numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a frightening sky and situation. The hope of course is that everyone makes it through to the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share your concern for daughter and family. Depending on which direction the wind is blowing we are at the fire’s mercy. So much devastation, loss for many. We seem to be out of harm’s way in Bend but that can quickly change. Will keep your daughter in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. O Beverly, I feel for you and the kids. The fires are horrid this year, worst ever during us being there. I talked to a friend who lives near Tillamook Bay, he said their fire was eight miles from his home. That is 60 miles south of where my deceased grandmother live, Warrenton.
    Those folks who lost their home will rise again, we di when we had 33 feet of water in ours. I remember in 2016 a certain politician said he didn't feel sorry for the poor people I California because there would be plenty of water to put out their fires if the rich were using it all on their green lawns. Booo!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sympathise with your heavy heart, Bev, and pray that your daughter and her family are safe. I’ve been watching those fires from afar and am aghast at the devastation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sympathize... That's the direction my poem took, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been watching it on the news...A terrifying situation to be in as we Aussies know and are already preparing for our next bush fire season. Prayers for your family and everyone involved Pray for rain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You and your family are in my prayers. I hope everyone is safe and they come out stronger after the rebuilding.

    ReplyDelete